More of us are traveling with less luggage now that the airlines charge for each bag. If you are going for an extended time and cannot get by with a carry-on then I have
10 Tips to Help Your Luggage Arrive On Time and in Good Condition
1. Put your printed itinerary with your contact information inside your luggage where it will be easily seen if opened.
2. Remove all tags and travel stickers from previous trips as the scanner may read the wrong one.
3.Take a photo of the contents of your suitcase and keep in a safe place.
4.Do not pack anything valuable such as jewelry, electronics, important documents or medicines.
5. Take off any straps that can cause a bag to get caught on a conveyer belt.
6. Instead of putting your home address on your luggage tag, put the address of where you will be staying. You don't want to announce that your house will be empty.
7. Avoid using very expensive looking bags. Thieves will think it holds expensive items.
8. To protect checked bags from damage and theft use one of the luggage wrapping services found at many airports. For about $10 you can wrap your bag in what looks like Saran Wrap and if the TSA unwraps it they will rewrap it for free.
9. Shortly after arriving at your destination check your items to make sure it is all there. If not submit a claim with the airline as soon as possible.
10.Most importantly buy travel insurance when you make your reservation. Besides covering you for cancellation due to illness or death in the family it will also cover your luggage up to a certain amount should it get lost.
For travel advice to anywhere call Birds of a Feather at 336-922-1837.